Heavy action

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 09:56:01 EDT

Dave writes:
>There is a point of diminishing returns on some actions where you can
>reduce downweight by adding leads but the additional inertia makes it
>feel to the player as though it is as heavy as it was before.  Does
>anyone think I'd get into inertia problems adding this amount of
>lead?

  Yes, there is a point of inertia becoming a problem.
What are the front weights of the keys?  If you get the middle section much
above 30-35 grams of front weight, you will run into inertia problems.  The
bass keys on many full size grands will allow about 45 gr. front weight max.
before turning into "trucks".
   If the action geometry fits all the specs for dip/blow considerations,
then the hammer weight should be examined.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT