Wrong String

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 06:36:41 -0400

Friends,

Somehow I missed Alan's original email, but I would like to respond to what is
here.  Essentially I agree with David, but I am in the middle of a situation
along this line.

I ordered a custom-made replacement string from Schaff for a grand piano.  It
looked okay when I got it, but when I installed it and attempted to pull it up
to pitch, it would go flat in a matter of 10-20 seconds.  Again and again I
pulled it up to pitch, to the point where the winding was within a hairbreadth
of the agraffe, watching closely to see where the problem was.  It was clear
that the becket was holding, but the eye terminal winding and the twist were
slowly slipping.  At one point I noticed the position of the tail stop (the cut
end of the string at the far end) was straight up toward the ceiling.  After a
number of attempts to keep the string at pitch, it was then horizontal.  It was
clear to me why this string was not holding pitch.  The string was faulty at
the loop end.

I cut the string out of the piano, went home and contacted Schaff.  The
spokesman was helpful and said these things happen and they would make and send
me a new string without charge.  It arrived the end of last week, and I plan to
install it today.  The eye twist and terminal windings are more substantial on
this second replacement, and I do not anticipate any further problem.

I raised the question about who pays for my first trip to the piano.  I spent
well over an hour making a special trip to that area, installing the string and
fiddling around trying to get it to hold the pitch.  Who should pay?  There are
three options.  The client can pay, though they are not at fault.  I can absorb
the loss, though the fault is not mine, either.  It appears clear to me that
the string maker should pay, because they sent me a defective string.

However, the reality is that even if the supply company is at fault, they
cannot afford to stay in business if they begin paying technicians for their
time and trouble, unless they hike the prices of their goods to cover such
losses.  Since my losing money due to faulty parts is a rarety, I am going to
absorb the loss myself, even though strictly speaking this is not a fair
solution.  I understand that life isn't always fair, so Clyde, get over it,
forget about it, and move on.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA  USA