Hang'n dem Hammers

Sun, 29 Sep 2002 20:47:54 -0700

First thing I do before taking the action home is check the hammer line at
the piano, the position of the action in and out with repect to the
adjustment in the cheek block, proximity of the keys to the keyslip, the
hanging distance relative to standard.  I look at the hanging line of the
hammers in the upper sections to see if it's straight.  I check several
notes by moving the action in or out to see if the strike point is in a
straight line.  I note if the action was moved in or out so that I can
reposition the action if I want to and make adjustments to the hanging
distance on the shank.  Put all this information together and mark which
hammers designate my line if it is uneven before I ever take the action out,
or any modifications that need to be made to the existing strike line.  Note
also if the action cloth is worn on the stop block on the left side of the
action cavity causing the action to set too far left.  Note how the shanks
line up over the rest cushions on the wippens.  This may give you some
indication as well.  You may want to replace this if it is and that may
force you to reset your hammer position laterally.  Be sure if you do that
the dampers are picking up on the correct side of the key end felt.

Once I get the action home, before I remove the shanks from the rail, I
align all the back checks to the tails so that when I get the new hammers
reinstalled I can rough them into place by aligning them to the backchecks.
Take the shanks off retaining the end hammers from each section and the
marked mid section hammers if the hammer line needs altering.  Repaper the
rails, install the shanks and rough travel.  I don't labor over minuscule
movements at this point, get them close so that there is no obvious
movement.  Refining the traveling after hanging the hammers is easier on the
eyes.

Reinstall the guide hammers and shanks and hang the new guide hammers using
the old as an index.  I have used both the Spurlock jig and the Jaras jig
for hanging hammers.  I find, however, that I prefer to view the hammers
from the back when hanging because it is easier to see if they are vertical.
So now I use a voicing platform that I got from Jim Coleman Jr. that is
about a section of hammers wide, made out of some vinyl type of stock which
resists adhesion by glue and has a slot routed out along its length which is
designed to fit over the backchecks to hold the platform in place.  It's
generally used for supporting hammers for gang filing and other such things.
By flipping it over you can use the slot for aligning tails, front side or
back side as you prefer.  I prefer to align the coved side and most jigs are
set up that way.  If you tail after hanging you can use the backside of the
tail for alignment.  I hang hammers with the stack on the keys because it
allows me to support the platform by laying it on the top of the backchecks.
I lay a piece of felt along the length of the action covering the wippens to
protect them from glue and other debris, and use a straightedge for aligning
the shoulders of the hammers.  Do one section at a time.  Split the long
tenor section into two shorter sections.  The other jigs work fine, I just
find that this is easier and quicker.

I find generally that it is harder to get a straight line using the every
other hammer method than this or similar type system.

David Love