Hang'n dem Hammers

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 05:29:26 +0200

Hello,

No good results with the jig, the lips for the tails and the back
shoulder are always in the  way for me to see what happens to these
different lines, and the placement can move with the tails pushing on
it.

I learned to glue with samples at each end  and a simple wooden rule
to check the alignment. Apparently have no problems actually with this
method, and it takes me actually less than 2 hours to glue in any
case. That is what is done in the factories apparently.

The tails are shaped before if a lot of wood may be shaved, after in a
gig holding all them together if more normal.
I tried the one each other method, did not like it, not accurate
enough.

Big holes is the way always !

Papering and burning is the most tedious part, I consider doing most
of it in front of the piano, as to not do things more than twice (or
not often).

There is absolutely no problem to align these heads, that is a false
idea, enough is to do some to learn its own method.
Beside the samples are to be very accurate, with a triangular check to
be sure of the rake, the distance from pin and the strike point (that
will always be higher than the old worn hammers)

Good luck everyone !

Isaac O.