Hang'n dem Hammers

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 21:34:24 EDT

In a message dated 9/29/02 8:47:10 PM !!!First Boot!!!, Maxpiano@aol.com
writes:

> Years ago I bought the Jaras hammer hanging jig and have used it
> occasionally.  No problem getting an even hammer (shoulder) line, but I've
> never acheived a consistent line in the hammer tails although the jig
> provides a straightedge to back the forward (toward player) edge of the
> tail
> against.  Is the Spurlock jig better in this regard?  Will arcing the tails
> afterward with the Spurlock tail arcing jig correct the discrepancies?  I
> have a set to replace next month, and any advice will help!
>
> Bill Maxim, RPT
> Maxim Piano Service
> Columbia, SC

Bill

Whether you use the Jarras, the Spurlock, a hand made jig, or even if you are
hanging hammers with just a straight edge, to get a successful straight line
for both the shoulders and the tails, make sure the holes are reamed to allow
for adjusting the hammer back and forth. I don't bore my own hammers, so I
found that the holes are not always big enough to allow for this adjustment.
So I ream all my hammers, and then turn the hammers on a rat tail file to put
the groves on the inside of the hole. This gives more surface for the glue to
adhere to the shank. It all takes a little more time, but it is well worth it
to get straight lines.

Wim