Hang'n dem Hammers

Kdivad@aol.com Kdivad@aol.com
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 21:32:29 EDT

In a message dated 9/29/02 8:03:59 PM Central Daylight Time,
baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca writes:

> Hi David,
>                This is why I preach arcing the tails after they are glued
> on the shank. That way you get a nice 2 1/2" radius and the arc is always
> square to the hammer rail.
>   This paramount for high secure checking, and good repition.
>
> Regards Roger

Roger, what is the reason you got from my post for arching the tail after
they are glued on the shanks?  I use the Spurlock radiusing jig and a disc
sander to get the radius which is accurately parallel to the hammer rail and
I can customise the radius if necessary.  I agree that arching the hammers on
the shanks is also a great technique though it seems awkward to me.  If you
are using the Spurlock jig to hang hammers the only time tail alignment can
be a problem is if you are careless during installation or cut to much
material from the tail.

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW