Hang'n dem Hammers

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 18:31:07 EDT

I posted:

Alan writes:
>Moving the action in and out?
 >I've seen curved hammer lines to accomodate the dampers. What does that
>do to ideal strike points?

(Hmm,  I must apologize for not stipulating that I was referring to grand
actions,  the upright action must be raised and lowered to analyze the same
question.)

       On a Steinway grand, the hammers are usually hung 130 mm from the
center pin.  So, it is a simple matter to have a set of trial hammers, of
varying bore lengths, hung at this distance, at exactly 90 degrees to their
shank.   I use them find what bore distance allows the hammer to meet the
string at 90 degrees. ( I do this with a small square on the strings against
which the hammers, with their centerlines marked, are compared when they
touch the string).   Then I bore the set and install the end hammers in each
section at 130 mm.  I put the action in the piano and listen to changes as
the action moves in or out.  If it improves the sound of a section to pull
the action out 2 mm,  I simply hang the hammers in that section at 132 mm.
Sometimes I find that the middle of a section needs to be farther out than
the ends, so I make a note of this  and hang by the following procedure:
    In the upper sections, I  put a hammer in the middle of the section and
listen as it is moved in or out.  This is where I find that hammer lines can
produce better sound when curved within a section, but it usually turns out
that the curve is gradual within any given section.  Separate sections under
the V-bar usually have their own distinctive "best" hanging distance.
   These curved hammer lines are not easily replicated on jigs with straight
edges, so I usually have one or two hammers within the section that are
indexed to the optimum contact spot, and then hang the hammers in straight
lines between them. At some point, the time it takes to refine the contact
points to the last 1/2 mm is not worth it.  Hammers can be finely adjusted to
these tolerances with a little heat and a vertical bend in the shank, if
necessary.  Even a very slight asymmetry in filing can move contact back or
forth, so I just hang straight between guides that are perhaps 10 hammers
apart.
   I also begin a replacement job with the hammer shanks all traveling
straight up and down, as measured by a square sitting on the whippen rail. I
space the shanks to begin their arc from directly over the whippen flange
screw and with equal distance between them at the knuckle.  This provides a
beginning alignment "framework" so that when decisions have to be made, I
know where I can safely depart from "ideal".
     I often find that grands require the bass hammers to be moved leftward,
and the middle section must be spaced to the right if I am to have all the
top end directly under the strings and directly over the whippen.  By
starting off with everything straight, I know how to split the difference so
that nobody is way off center,(which would require excessive spacing of
whippens, which leads to problems if the capstans are  not perfectly aligned,
and the same goes for the let-off buttons).
    I hate to burn shanks,(though I do), so I really want to know that they
are traveling straight before the hammers go on them.  Also, especially in
regard to Steinways, once I know that they are traveling straight,  I know
that I can space them with two equal-sized shims of brown paper tape used on
the diagonal and not change the traveling.  This is, ultimately, a time saver
when the greatest degree of perfection is the goal.
     Sometimes it helps the speed of Steinway regulation to combine the
spacing and traveling, ie, if you know the hammer needs to strike farther to
the left, and it is traveling to the right, a simple spacing paper on the
right side of the flange will cure both at once.  And, if it is traveling
right, and hits the string just right, the Steinway flange allows one to shim
just the front right corner, so that the shank travels more to the left, but
the flange is swung to the right, keeping the contact correct, while making
the hammer travel straight up.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT