Hang'n dem Hammers

Kdivad@aol.com Kdivad@aol.com
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 18:01:39 EDT

In a message dated 9/29/02 3:47:10 PM Central Daylight Time, Maxpiano@aol.com
writes:

> Years ago I bought the Jaras hammer hanging jig and have used it
> occasionally.  No problem getting an even hammer (shoulder) line, but I've
> never acheived a consistent line in the hammer tails although the jig
> provides a straightedge to back the forward (toward player) edge of the
> tail
> against.  Is the Spurlock jig better in this regard?  Will arcing the tails
>
> afterward with the Spurlock tail arcing jig correct the discrepancies?  I
> have a set to replace next month, and any advice will help!
>
> Bill Maxim, RPT
> Maxim Piano Service
> Columbia, SC

Bill, I have never used the Jaras jig so I can't compare, I can say that the
Spurlock jig is excellent.  Just like anything though there is a learning
curve, I set my strike point with the end hammers in each section, checking
hammer angle and then use the glued end hammers to line up the jig, the
radius on the tail should not affect the inside edge of the tail for lining
up against the rail of the jig, unless you are taking too much material off
and actually shortening the hammer tail.

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW