Learning Aural Tuning (Broadwood)

SidewaysWell1713@aol.com SidewaysWell1713@aol.com
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 17:48:09 EDT

In a message dated 9/29/02 1:55:27 AM Central Daylight Time,
remoody@midstatesd.net writes:

> Below is from James Broadwood in 1811---the sequence for tuning ET
>
> "From whatever tone the tuner begins, it is still the practice,
> as in the old system of temperament, to the end the succession of
> fifths {tuned up from the starting note} at G# and those {tuned
> down} at Eb, whereby the  inequalities arising from careless or
> defective divisions are thrown into the key of A flat;

This is actually a description of Meantone Temperament Tuning although not
the classic 1/4 Comma Meantone.  The 5ths were all tempered a little more
than in ET, so the last one, the Ab-Eb 5th was actually a little wide and
irreconcilable.  This fits the description of 1/7, 1/8, 1/9 or 1/10 Comma
Meantone, all of which could be used today a s a subsitute for ET.

The fact that these practioners were allowing the key of Ab to be the most
vibrant and that many Romantic style composers such as Chopin so often chose
that key tells me they liked the way it sounded.  To choose ET instead causes
the music to be altered from the way it was conceived.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin