Hang'n dem Hammers

Sun, 29 Sep 2002 23:38:32 +0200

Interesting stuff so far, thanks guys for the stimulating reading.

I wanted to point out that in doing the alternate hammers method, I
place a long straightedge under the shanks to bring them up to level .
That way I can get a good sight on the existing rake. I also place a
straight edge under the tails (not sitting on but just under) so I can
line up new tails. This allows me to change the rake as I deem
neccessary while keeping the strike point along the old line. This
assumes the old strike line is something I have decided to accept.

The divergence to a curve in the treble area I have always handled by
popping off and reglueing as neccessary. A bit time consuming I know,
but it works and generally there is no more then 6 or 7 notes
affected. Also in the highest 5 notes I find it often neccessary to
fudge here.

I do manage nice lines, both tails and strike points. But the bench
part of such a job, including two travelings, any burnings, rough
bench regulations, and the usual other action maintainance one does
takes me about 10 hours.

So far I have only heard cons to this method... anyone have any pros
?? :)

Thanks again folks

RicB

--