Hang'n dem Hammers

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 21:03:47 +0200

While on that subject, may I ask the list opinion about this fact :

depending on (I think mainly) the hammer quality and hardness, the exact striking points where the magic of sound colour and best dynamic capabilities occurs happen not always to be in a straight line, from section to section, all over the scale.  With softer hammers, this appears to be less obvious.  But in some cases, aesthetic considerations led me to try and glue hammers sometimes as far as 5 mm out of line, even in bass section, where you sometimes can achieve (even far more out of line than possible) a much more interessant sound, that has more power, more colour shades and less harsh in ff playing (and, last but not least, much more agreable touch feel).
So what would you think about a piano which has bass hammers glued say 12.5 cm from center pins, tenors tapered from 13.1 cm to 12.8 cm, trebbles 13 cm and last high trebbles per note all differing ?

Am I completely out of tune again ? Or do some listees encounter the same situation ?

(I also use Spurlock jig, for straight lines).

Stéphane Collin.