New Piano ... Source

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Sat, 28 Sep 2002 14:00:14 +0200

Hi Alan.

Typical of recording artists in pop music : brighter is better.  No need =
of subtle colour shades.  Important is : you still must hear the piano =
through a wall of drums, bass, guitars and synthesizers.
My advice : put some lacquer on all the hammers crowns, it will turn the =
piano (any) in the best instrument for the job.  If too bright, they =
still can EQ  the sound at the mixing table, reducing at the same time =
the HF noises.

My 1 euro cent worth comment.

St=E9phane Collin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan R. Barnard=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, September 28, 2002 4:03 AM
  Subject: New Piano ... Source

  Young man is opening a recording studio in our little town. Very =
impressive array of equipment, loaner drums, guitars, keyboards, etc.

  Very specific target: He wants to buy a new, black Yamaha or Suzuki =
baby grand (or comparable). He does recording and audio work for major =
league stadiums and other large venues in St. Louis. Likes the bright =
oriental piano sound. I suggested something 6 feet or bigger but he was =
fixated on the words "baby grand."=20

  Alan Barnard
  Searching in Salem, MO

  Dealers or agents: Anyone know a source or want to quote a price? We =
are in south-central Missouri, 2 hours from St. Louis, maybe 3 from KC.