CA Glues - Was Quick (Drying) Question

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 23:28:34 -0700

At 11:02 PM 9/26/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>A lot of the tops I have reglued come loose in a relatively short time.  I
>attribute it to the difference in expansion and contraction rate from
>humidity changes between the ivory or plastic and the wood, and the low
>shear strength of the glue.

I've never had trouble with ivories coming off again, using CA glue.

What was the relative humidity when they were glued on?

It may be that the glue never set well to begin with (air too dry?)

I've sometimes used a damp rag to clean off the dark dirt, so that
the remnants of the old wafer (containing hide glue) are just
barely damp to the touch. Then I put CA (Quiktite, from Loctite, as
usual) on the back of the ivory, spread it quickly to form a
sheet all the way to the edges using a small screwdriver, and
carefully but quickly put it in place. Usually a little
squeeze-out gets on my fingers, and if I'm not careful, some
gets on the top of the ivory as well. So I carry some nail polish
remover, to get it back off again.

A really good flush fit before you put on the glue helps as well.
CA is a pretty lousy gap-filler.

Donnie Byrd glued a whole set of plastic keytops onto an upright
in Cuba, using Titebond and CA (together). When she checked the next year, not
one had come loose. My suspicion is that poor adherence is more
likely in low humidity rather than high, but I'll keep my mind
open to contrary data.

Susan