CA Glues - Was Quick (Drying) Question

Vanderhoofven dkvander@joplin.com
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:00:39 -0500

At 03:39 PM 9/24/02, Alan R. Barnard wrote:

>All these references to CA glue ... are there preferences for certain =
>brands, thickness, etc., for different applications?

Hi Alan,

The local hobby store in Joplin sells Jet brand CA glue (Made by Carl
Goldberg), in thin, medium and thick.  They also sell a brand of CA glue
with their own label on it, which I haven't tried.

http://www.toydirectory.com/CarlGoldbergModels/  has a picture of the Super
Jet CA Glue that I use.

http://www.rcwings.com/listings/glue.htm  has the information about the Jet
CA Glue that I use, made by Carl Goldberg.  I pay less than the prices
listed at my local hobby store.  I can't find a web page for Carl Goldberg.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?manu=289&split=30  also lists the Jet
CA Glue that I usually pay.

Dryburgh Adhesive Products makes very good CA glue, and ship it fresh from
the factory.  Mr. Dryburg demonstrates his CA glue at most of the PTG
conventions so you can try it out and ask questions before you buy.  I
can't find a web page for Dryburgh Adhesives.

Dryburgh Adhesive Products, Inc.

22 Russling Road, Rd Suite 2
Hackettstown NJ 07480

Phone: 908-850-1260
Fax: 908-850-6467
Toll Free: 800-GLUE-ALL

Here are some web pages that are interesting.

http://members.primary.net/~tdenham/art18.htm  - Very good about CA glues

http://www.rcwings.com/listings/glue.htm#tips  - tips for using CA glues

http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/bladhesives.htm

http://thistothat.com/

http://www.hobbylinc.com/glue/ca.htm

http://inventors.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://www.manco.com/StudentCenter/HistoryofAdhesives.asp
-  This site is very general about the history of adhesives

>I used some Bondini to reglue 4 ivory heads and one tail. Worked great =
>but seeped around the edge and...

I have never used Bondini so don't know how it works.  Use less CA glue so
it doesn't squeeze out.  Use medium CA glue, and make a thin even film on
the surface of the wood.  Carefully put the ivory piece in place, and then
after it is aligned, spray a very little bit of the  accelerator to
activate the CA glue.

>True confessions: I glued my finger to the piano. Had to remove the key, =
>drive to a hardware store, go in and buy acetone--all with a 1910 =
>Chickering upright piano key glued to my finger. Seems funny now but I =
>sure felt stupid.

Rule #1 (Which I usually ignore myself!)  Never use CA glue unless you have
the bottle of debonder within arms reach!

>Alan Barnard
>Stuck in Salem, MO

David Vanderhoofven
Free in Joplin, MO