Learning Aural Tuning

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 07:02:52 +0200

A tad is generally less than 1 bps as I understand it.

There is not such perfect A3 A4 size, it all depends of the room
acoustic, the voicing of the piano, the inharmonicity of strings, the
way you tune and so on

There is a confusion there :

F2 is used with A4 and the A4 of the fork to adjust pitch with a fork
.

Comparing A3 A4 at the light of F2 could well give a tad of a beat and
you will not have enough stretched your octave A3 A4.

But sure that is a test if you want to have very clean octaves on
spinets or very little pianos.

Generally admitted in the Pleyel temperament is than the tenth F3 A4
may beat more than the 3d F3 A3, and less than 1 bps difference/
Another test adds minor third vs. major sixth, having them equal mean
that the octave is stretched a bit far, but some pianos with high IH
may be tuned with that opened octave.
There is a lot of literature at the PTG about that (Rick Baldassin "on
pitch")

I thought most of the tuners where aware of these simple tests, that
is the first lesson when you begin to learn to lay the bearings. With
all that EDT I'd guess that most have been smart enough to use the
machine to check them and learn to produce an acceptable temperament
without it ?

Beating or matching the machine is always rewarding (and you will see
that you do better sometime).

Regards

Isaac