Wrong String was "O" vs "M" Discussion

Wed, 25 Sep 2002 21:12:21 -0700

I wouldn't order a string for that vintage (or any maybe) piano without
measuring the appropriate lengths and diameters and giving them the data.
Scales change, especially with Steinway, and speaking lengths are also
unreliable.  When replacing an old bichord it is sometimes better to order
both strings as getting a good match can be a problem.

If it was Mapes, they are usually pretty good about making things right at
no extra charge if an error was made.  Steinway, well...???  I would go
directly to Mapes with the measurements and chalk if up to experience.

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan R. Barnard" <mathstar@salemnet.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: September 25, 2002 9:44 AM
Subject: Wrong String was "O" vs "M" Discussion

Ordered wound string for a 1910 "O." It was for the D18 bichord. This was
the one where my customer insisted on a genuine Steinway string, so I
ordered it through S&S--not knowing that Mapes makes their strings, anyway.

The string came tagged S&S "O" String #30.

I didn't spot the error until I installed the string and saw how short the
wrap was, looking closer it was too thin also.

Don't know if I ordered wrong or Steinway passed it along wrong or Mapes
heard it wrong BUT ...

The D30 on this "O" is a plain string trichord, so I assume all of them are
this way--no wound strings on the tenor bridge.

Even if there were wound strings as high as #30 in a Steinway, wouldn't they
likely be quite thin and a trichord?

So the question is, even if it was ordered wrong, wouldn't Mapes find the
error when they looked up the specs in their S&S stringing scale records???
How could they produce a wound #30 if the piano doesn't have one?

Who, in your opinion gets stuck with the bill to make the correct (#18)
string?

This is NOT a rag on Mapes. I think they do a great job. But this deal went
funky somewhere ...

Alan R. Barnard
Unstrung in Salem, MO