Wrong String was "O" vs "M" Discussion

David M. Porritt dm.porritt@verizon.net
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 12:10:44 -0500

Alan:

The strings for D-18 (or D2 depending on your favorite nomenclature)
would be a #23 or #24.  Strings are numbered for each string.
Otherwise they wouldn't know which string of the bi-chord it was.
There is a difference in the hitch loop to the start of the winding
on the two different strings for a bi-chord.  Now, string #30 is
wrong no matter what.

dave

On 9/25/2002 at 11:44 AM Alan R. Barnard wrote:

>Ordered wound string for a 1910 "O." It was for the D18 bichord.
This was
>the one where my customer insisted on a genuine Steinway string, so
>ordered it through S&S--not knowing that Mapes makes their strings,
anyway.

>The string came tagged S&S "O" String #30.
>
>I didn't spot the error until I installed the string and saw how
short the
>wrap was, looking closer it was too thin also.
>
>Don't know if I ordered wrong or Steinway passed it along wrong or
Mapes