Kent Swafford/....ETD generated tuning and refines it."

Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:47:33 +0200

David Andersen wrote:

> > I suspect it will get much worse
> >then you prophesis below. I suspect there will be only a hand full of piano
> >makers left,  most people using keyboards, and the tuning proffession....
> >well for the few who are left I think they will be well versed in most all
> >aspects of tuning... or they wont be able to compete with the few artists
> >left who insist on acoustic instruments.
> >
> >MO
>
> I think this is an alarmist view.  I do work for many,  great studio
> players and film composers/ home studio guys.  None of them have an
> emotional relationship with their keyboard controllers and their samples.
> ALL of them have an emotional relationship---in some cases, very
> intense---with their pianos.  Enough said.

Well,,,  grin... it IS the alarmist view. And while I can certainly understand
that your proffesional friends have still much good to say about acoustic
instruments, the fact is that there are more and more of the keyboard variants
sold each year. They are getting better and better and simulating the "real
thing" and becoming more and more attractive as an alternative in school,
church, and other public venues which in turn further "adjust" the publics
perception of these... we have a snowball effect and I for one cant see the snow
melting more then is exactly neccessary to provide for HUGE snowballs...grin.

But then... I could be wrong.

> People have been predicting the death of acoustic pianis for 50 years or
> more.  Relax.
> It's not going to happen.

Perhaps.... but perhaps not. In any case I am perfectly relaxed about it. Its
not up to me to decide the course of humanity. And you all better thank your
lucky stars it isnt.. :)

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.