Kent Swafford/....ETD generated tuning and refines it."

Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:41:01 +0200

Having never heard an expert  tuning done with this device I must reserve comment a bit on its abilities. But I will say that in my experience there is no such thing as a 100% accurate tuning. The
concept simply does not relate to anything in the real world.

There IS a rather large variety of ways to specify what a "tuned" piano is and this even within the realm of equal temperament tuning. The US exam will specifies a pretty clearly defined tuning /
stretch, yet there are many RPT's who do not tune this way.

The problem with viewing what a tuning is in such a narrow way is that it simply closes off any avenue a tuner may choose to take that lends itself to creating differening effects with a tuning. A
most simple example would be to point out the different effects created by differing stretch amounts. When it comes down to it, and within reasonable parameters... the only thing "right" or
"wrong"  or "accurate" in this sense about a tuning are consistancy related issues, and issues relating to how well the tuner succeded in accomplishing what he/she meant to accomplish.

MHO

RicB

--
Richard Brekne