tuning and European climate

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 23:05:45 +0200

Pierre,

Tell them that tuning twice a year is great minimum, and 3 or 4th for piano
classes.

By accepting their conditions, you may be rob someone else job, and do
yourself a disfavor, as you will be considered responsible for the bad state
of the pianos that will happen inevitably.

Indoor humidity is not only related to the continent it is mostly related to
the process employed for heating in winter, in the conservatory I work for,
the heat is strong in winter with no moisture added, and the drift in pitch
can be as high as 18 cts (on pianos that play 8 hr /day that is )

Tuning twice does not necessary mean you will have to adjust pitch a lot, if
I tune at 442 in the spring, the winter pitch is a little less than 440
often.

The best moment for tuning in schools is before they ask it, because YOU
know when and what is necessary !

Not useful but think about it , and when will you secure the action screws ?
even the regulation, lube, regulate pedals and key play ?

No matter what they pay if they ask you 1 tuning year, they are not
considering you as a professional, this is abusing.

Consider you are offended, or explain them what to do. May be you can find
another way with them, an exchange or something that helps. Working for
public music schools mean very low budget, but there may have some

If you accept their law, they will call you the second day of the
examinations, and at different other times to come in emergency always for
things that should have been fixed if you had more often visits.

Just my ideas about it.

Regards, (don't mean to be rude, hope you did not feel it as that)

Isaac