<<OFF TOPIC>> A unique find

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 11:47:04 -0700

<<OFF TOPIC>>

The piano business will lead to some of the most bizarre finds =
sometimes.  But then again piano technicians are bizarre finds.

A few weeks ago Alan Meyer and I were walking across the UNLV campus =
pulling a dolly and skid board after moving an Baldwin Hamilton into the =
student union for an event.  Nearing the music building we stopped in =
our tracks when we noticed an old phone booth sitting in a fenced area =
where the art department does their business.  This is the old kind that =
pretty much disappeared in the 1980s with the bi-fold doors and the =
light that comes on.  Actually thanks to the cell phone nearly all pay =
phones have vanished now.  The top has TELEPHONE written on it which =
lights up behind the glass on the top.  An example is here only it is =
red instead of blue:
http://www.payphonesdirect.com/wesel.html

Half realizing it I said out loud, "hey that's cool, wouldn't it be fun =
to own that".  An art department professor was near by and =
enthusiastically responded "PLEASE, come and get it!"  It seems that =
some maintenance people abandoned it there and it was in their way.  For =
unknown reasons I said I would take it.  He gave me his name and told me =
to call back a few weeks after school started.  Well I did and he said =
to come over and get it.  Last evening Alan and I returned with a piano =
dolly and proceeded to load it up in my pick-up and away I went with my =
new found treasure.  This morning I unloaded it behind the house and =
examined it closer.  It is actually in remarkably good shape.  The last =
remaining booths of this type that I have seen, (and it has been quite a =
while), have the doors missing, broken glass, the light is missing, =
profanity scratched into it everywhere, etc.  This booth has none of =
that, it just needs a good hose down and scrubbing.  It is in pristine =
condition for what could probably now be classified as an antique.

Okay, now the big question... what am I going to do with it?  Truthfully =
I don't quite know but it is kind of cool.  I jokingly told Alan that we =
could use it as the spray booth for our new shop.  His reply was that I =
should install it in the bathroom and put a shower head in it!  =
(actually kind of a novel idea!)  I'll probably end up putting it in my =
living room after I get it cleaned up.  I need to locate an old pay =
phone to install in it.  An older model would be the most nostalgic but =
I haven't found anything less than upward of $250.00.  maybe there's a =
fixer upper out there somewhere, there must be tens of thousands of them =
out there that were retired over the decades.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to make a phone call.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV