Hammers and scale

Tue, 24 Sep 2002 08:33:19 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Love=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: September 24, 2002 7:42 AM
  Subject: Re: Hammers and scale

  I'm thinking more in terms of other methods to stiffen an existing =
board.

  David Love

Ah, now I understand....

Well, anything that would create added stiffness would probably help. Of =
those you mentioned I don't think I'd bother with "...adding a piece of =
wood at the front edge in the first capo section much like is done in =
the top most section?"=20

I have tried coating with epoxy with some limited success.=20

I have also tried adding additional short ribs between the existing ribs =
from the bottom side with somewhat more success. Working room is quite =
limited and you have to practice your dexterity skills and it helps to =
have your copy of The Modern American Dictionary Slang & Profanity =
nearby. Start with something about half as wide and tall as the existing =
ribs. Extend it as far toward the bellyrail as is practical and then an =
equal distance back toward the rim. Secure it with a screw going up into =
the bridge body and WEST or System Three epoxy (you'll not get a good =
clean surface to bond to and a good epoxy will bond to most anything and =
fill the inevitable gaps in the process).

In the end, these pianos need new soundboards.

Good luck.

Del