Kent Swafford/....ETD generated tuning and refines it."

Tue, 24 Sep 2002 17:20:39 +0200

Leslie, the whole point of the aural component of the exam is because the
machine, no matter how good it is today, is still not good enough. Three very
well trained ears can almost without fail pick up a few notes in the bass, a
wild card here and there that can be improved upon. The discrepancy you
mention is exactly because of this process.

Even Dr Colemans ETD tuning that I mentioned the other day had a couple notes
adjusted, and he tuned to begin with using both his ears and his SAT.

So you are right, a pure ETD tuning will not give the same result as an ear
checked tuning.....ETD assisted or not. But as far as the future and what is
percieved as being a good tuning or not. I suspect it will get much worse
then you prophesis below. I suspect there will be only a hand full of piano
makers left,  most people using keyboards, and the tuning proffession....
well for the few who are left I think they will be well versed in most all
aspects of tuning... or they wont be able to compete with the few artists
left who insist on acoustic instruments.

MO

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.