Followup on Upright Damper Touchweight

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 15:43:19 -0400

I had posed the question a couple days ago regarding upright damper effect on touchweight.

Today I serviced a 4-year-old Samick studio. It seemed to have a heavy touch. I quickly measured the middle octave of naturals. They averaged about 58 grams of DW. Then I let go of the damper pedal and measured how much DW was required to lift the damper. The average was 110 grams!

This seemed excessive to me. I did the same thing to my Boston GP178 grand. It has a very pleasant touchweight. DW averaged 50 grams, and it required about 75 grams to lift the dampers.

So the unpleasant vertical had 52 grams of damper resistance, and the pleasant grand had only 25 grams. My guess would be that it would be nice to see if the dampers on the Samick were still effective with half their resistance.

Any other thoughts?

Terry Farrell