tuning vs. tweaking; was ETD's accurate?

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 02:16:12 -0700

>I neither give away my time nor compromise the quality of the work I do.
>But I do make choices about the best way to allocate it my time given the
>needs of the piano and the needs of the client.  I can't afford to schedule
>open ended 3 hour appointments at each visit and end up with large holes
>because the customer only wanted the piano tuned and nothing else.  So in
>the 1.5 hours that I normally schedule I pick and choose what will best
>serve the customer and focus my energies there.  If additional work is
>needed I schedule another appointment.
>
>David Love

That's what you're comfortable with, and I totally respect that.  My new
clients come only through word of mouth, usually from long-time, happy
clients, so I feel more strength in telling them pretty unequivocally
that the piano needs more than tuning.  When I'm wrong, which is rarely
(in this particular instance), I take the hour or so and sit in the sun,
read a book, or have a longer lunch.  Or return phone calls.  Or shedule
the following weeks.  Or answer all these dang emails I get from these
dang piano dudes.......

David A.