was ETD's accurate? tuning vs. tweaking

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Mon, 23 Sep 2002 02:00:22 -0700

> This is the old full service approach to piano work possibly taught by
>Bill Spurlock?

Taught by a few, including Virgil Smith.  It makes so much sense, and is
implemented by so few technicians that I have followed; on most pianos I
come upon; I can honestly propose at least a day of work, and enroll the
customer to my perspective, by showing and telling what's wrong with the
piano that could be right.
When you get real experienced, you can actually tell the client(if they
play at all) how the piano sounds and feels deficient in pretty exact
terms after looking at the piano for 5 minutes.  They look at you like
you're clairvoyant, and they trust you.  From this a long-term,
respect-based relationship is born.

David A.