Learning Aural Tuning

Mon, 23 Sep 2002 09:41:13 +0200

You are at the heart of the ETD / Aural tuning question me thinks, simplified to
a concrete example to be sure but just so.

I suggest you do the following experiement. Use your ETD to tune A3 - A4 as a
beatless 2:1, then as a 4:2, a 6:3 and a 8:4. You will no doubt immediatly
conclude that the octave "sounds best" somewhere close in 4:2 - 6:3 range. Some
actually like a bit wide of a 6:3.Now use your ear to find the exact spot that
you like best, and then use the ETD to look at what you ended up with and note
it down. Then do the same experiement on the same piano as many days in a row as
you can.

You will find that "optimal" placement is indeed a bit fleeting, yet not so much
so that you could feasably select a certain setting on your ETD and simply use
exactly that evertime.  What you decide to do with the obvious choice that basic
reality gives you .... is in the end your own affair. Yet I would encourage you
to develope your ear skills as far as life allows you.

Cheers

RicB

--
Richard Brekne