OT - [Fwd: [DISCUSS] Peruvian GNU efforts,

Duaine Hechler dahechler@mlc.net
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 21:54:16 -0500

On Sunday 22 September 2002 09:47, stan reichardt wrote:
> Next month marks the 5th anniversary of the leaking
> of the infamous Halloween Documents from an Increasingly

 Speaking of the Halloween docs, I came across a follow up article on
the Peruvian  Open Source software initiative. It seems that Microsoft
and it's local astro turf organizations could not overcome Senator
Villanueva's arguments but have instead resorted to political
machinations to defeat the initiative. Here is an excerpt from an
article at Advogato.org:
http://www.advogato.org/article/517.html

Additional info on the progress of the can be found here at the Peruvian
GNU site: http://www.gnu.org.pe/main.html

EXCERPT:

Remember Dr. Villanueva and the Peruvian software bill? A month ago the
linux world was full of it. The letter received massive support
worldwide; the publicity gave the impetus to the first Peruvian
international conference on free software in government, with among
others Miguel de Icaza. And the bill made it to the committee stage,
beating off all comers: as far as logic goes any opponents didn't have
a leg to stand on.

Microsoft's normal tactics in this situation are to work through local
Software Associations; unfortunately, in this case the bill was too
well argued (in terms of the need for the state to use open formats to
store public data, to use software with code which can be inspected for
national security reasons, to encourage the development of skilled
programmers rather than button pushers etc) for the local associations
to make much impact.

So, Microsoft has had to roll out its real weapons: money and power.
Bill Gates has, according to the paper El Comercio, offered the
Peruvian Government large amounts of money for its educational and
social programs (presumably in the form of donations of Microsoft
software - the tactic used in Mexico - though this isn't known for sure
yet), and has sent for Peruvian President Toledo, who is now in Seattle
visiting the great man himself. The bill has been put on hold awaiting
President Toledo's return (without, apparently any legal
justification). I think its a safe bet to assume Bill has enough money
to buy a President.

The sources for this story are all in Spanish, and appeared on the
Spanish-language Slashdot barrapunto. So I'm appending translations
here.

First the original Barrapunto story (from :
http://barrapunto.com/article.pl?sid=02/07/11/086235)

It seems that the Micro$oft lobby has counter-attacked. In Peru
President Bush of the United States has started to apply the pressure
to stop the Peruvian Free Software Bill through his embassador,
Hamilton. Congress has approved Peruvian president Alejandro Toledo's
[...] trip to the US to meet Bill Gates. According to the newspaper El
Commercio, the apparent aim of the Peruvian president's visit to
Seattle is to ask for economic aid from Bill Gates, who may make a
donation through the Gates Foundation to support the 'social and
educational programs' of the peruvian government ... And worst of all,
the law has gone back to first base as expressly requested by the
commissions studying it while Toledo is away with the Micro$oft people

--

--
Duaine Hechler