Franz Mohrs Credibility, was ETDS

Gerald Posey poseyviolins@charter.net
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 18:58:28 -0500

> I am sure we would be thrilled to hear a few of the general lines and
> argumentations of this discussion if you should care to share them with us
!
Sorry, it was just a brief mention,  one maker said Franz was in his studio
visiting and said something about  Steinway only changing their soundboards
after some decades and replacing them with new ones (I don't know the
context of that statement)  and saying Steinway uses only Sitka spruce
nowadays.  Another maker then mentioned he knew a tech in the Steinway
restoration shop that said the older Steinways had Adirondack  spruce, and
when they encountered these they tried to save the existing soundboard to
preserve the timbre of the better spruce.  He said the Sitka had a shriller
"Yamaha" sound.     And there was speculation on the type of spruce used in
European Steinways, perhaps Picea excelsa.
Gerald