Kent Swafford/....ETD generated tuning and refines it."

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 18:54:30 -0500

On Sunday, September 22, 2002, at 06:37 PM, Joseph Garrett wrote:

> Bremmers comment, if you read it carefully, was that the piano is
> TUNED with an ETD and then master tuned, aurally. I personally
> suggested that be done, a few years ago and was told absolutely not!
> Hmm? There definitely seems to be some differences of opinion in the
> use of an ETD in Master Tuning.

I'm not presently on the ETSC, but I am a past ETSC Tuning Subcommittee
Chair, and I have the current manual on my desk as I type.

"The equipment cannot be used as a standard to judge the master
tunings, but it can be used to make small changes."

There is nothing in the manual that prohibits the use of the ETD for
the "pre-tuning", that is, the tuning which the 3 RPTs refine until it
becomes the master tuning. Indeed, the ETD must be there during the
pre-tuning to take readings and be sure that the readings are of
sufficiently good quality to qualify the piano for the exam.

The very first time I participated in a master tuning, I was sent down
the hallway to the designated room, pushed on the door, and found Dr.
Al himself pre-tuning the piano with his (then new-fangled) SAT.

Kent