The Definitive Answer To ANY Piano Question

Alan R. Barnard mathstar@salemnet.com
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 17:40:19 -0500

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch ran a huge article, today, called =
"Celebrating the Perfect Instrument." Seems the Mu Phi Epsilon people, =
and others, are sponsoring concerts (ragtime, classical, jazz ...) and =
contests and an awards dinner, etc., all in celebration of the piano. =
The article, in the Arts & Entertainment section front page, above the =
fold, has an 11" color photo of a S&S D, from above with the lid =
removed.

Okay. Fine. I'm all for it--especially this line "Although we're a long =
way from the days when virtually all the children in those [middle =
class] homes took piano lessons, enrollments are increasing these days, =
and many teachers have waiting lists for openings in their studios."

But here's the REEEEEALLY GOOD NEWS!!!

"As any parent of a budding string player can testify, there are real =
advantages to the piano, such as tuning issues: The piano doesn't have =
any."

So there ya go. What is all this chatter about temperaments, ETDs, =
inharmonicity, etc? For Heaven's sake, the Post has just declared that =
pianos have no tuning issues! Let's go fishing!

Alan R. Barnard
Former St. Louisan at Large