Franz Mohrs Credibility, was ETDS

Sun, 22 Sep 2002 21:37:09 +0200

Farrell wrote:

> Yes, I know well Mr. Mohr's relationship with Horowitz. Did I discount the fellow? I most certainly did not intend to. I simply pointed out that he appeared a little behind the times regarding current electronic equipment available for the trade. This seemed rather obvious to me.
>
> I can easily understand one's preference to not use an ETD. "The purist" - cool deal. And one might even go a step further to argue that aural-only tuning is better. But to suggest that fine tunings cannot be had from a skilled piano technician using an ETD......well, I'll skip the colorful adjectives........ is quite simply incorrect.
>
> Terry Farrell

Well Terry, though in principle I agree with your closing statement, I think you have to remember that Franz was primarily a Steinway tuner. You know... Steinways... those pianos that have such lousy scales that even the PTG wont use one for an exam ??? "Lousy scale" essentially  being defined in this context as being "a scale that an ETD
cannot reliably and accurately project onto a SAT or RCT type tuning curve". And therein perhaps lies his experience and stubbornness on the issue. He perhaps has actually heard time and time again less then judicious ETD users attempt to force such a curve on such and instrument without due prejudice by the ear to correct for the
disparages inherent.

So.... "incorrect" may be just a bit too..... shall we say oversimplified coverage of the problem situation. :)

You actually touch lightly on a subject matter that I have been thinking a lot about lately.... what really constitutes a good scale.... obviously the priorities that fellows like Delwin tout, and those of many major manufacturers are different, and we have heard of course from Delwin on some of the what's and whys... from his perspective.
What their perspective is in regard to these same questions we may never hear, but that they are different there should be no doubt. The question is in the end which of these and other perspectives are we in the end to "declare" or "define" as yielding the << Best >> scales.... if any,,,, and what set of criteria do we use to make this
"declaration"

I remain a inquisitive in this regard.

--
Richard Brekne