Importance of the staple

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 10:32:09 -0500

I get the impression here that a staple is a staple is a staple, but they
aren't all the same. I just cut up a few old hammers left over from sets
past, and found a few significant variations on the theme. One is a wire
loop, inserted from the bottom, clear through felt and molding, and twisted
together on the top. One is a long T staple inserted from the bottom,
through felt and molding, and spread apart at the top like a cotter pin
installation. A couple more are staples, driven or inserted through the
felt and into, but not through the molding. The last one has staples that
don't even reach the molding, and in fact don't even reach the underfelt.

It seems pretty clear to me that these different staples will have somewhat
different properties as reinforcement fasteners of a felt to wood glue
joint, and that not differentiating between them makes most of the
discussion somewhat less than informative. So clarify please, and qualify
observations and speculation with a more accurate description of what
you're talking about. Those that did, please disregard.
Ron N