Importance of the staple: was hammer felt (Renner Blues)

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 10:15:30 EDT

In a message dated 9/22/2002 7:08:26 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
kswafford@earthlink.net writes:

> Subj:Re: Importance of the staple: was hammer felt (Renner Blues)
> Date:9/22/2002 7:08:26 AM Pacific Daylight Time
> From:<A HREF="mailto:kswafford@earthlink.net">kswafford@earthlink.net</A>
> To:<A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> > My info from several classes at conventions is that staples are only
> > there because "the consumer expects them".

                 Kent Wrote
           > Maybe. Earlier this summer I came to a Steinway L with a set of
> Ronsen
> hammers less than a year old. The hammer felt had popped loose from one
> side of the molding of a single hammer. When I removed the offending
> hammer from the action, I found that the staple had been pulled out of
> the molding, but that the staple had never been installed properly; the
> staple had been bent up and one leg of the staple had never reached the
> wood of the molding. It just made me wonder, had both legs of the
> staple made it to the wood, would it have been enough to keep the felt
> from popping loose? Was it just a coincidence that the felt with the
> bad staple came loose?
>
>                Hi Kent

                       It wouldn't have made any difference if the staples
had gone in. Ray has had a bit of trouble with some batches of glue in the
recent past but this has been resolved. I order all my hammers from him
without staples. I've taken spare hammers and tried to pull the felt off .
It's not possible, the wood will come off first.
              Dale Erwin