was hammer felt (Renner Blues)

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sun, 22 Sep 2002 10:53:11 +0200

> From: "David Love" <davidlovepianos@earthlink.net>
> Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2002 21:41:59 -0700
> To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
> Subject: Importance of the staple:  was hammer felt (Renner Blues)
>

> Isaac O's remarks suggest that the stapled Renner is a different animal than
> the Renner blue in spite of the similarities in felt type.  I have to say that
> my experience suggests that the Renner blue has a high degree of tension in
> the felt which is responsive to needling.   The Renner hammer used for H.
> Steinway is also highly tensioned, and much harder at the outset.  My
> experience tells me that the needling requirements to get the H. Steinway
> hammer to open up are just that much greater.  But when all is said and done,
> is what you have left all that much different?  I haven't really done a side
> by side comparison.  Maybe somebody out there has.  I'd be interested to hear
> what they think.

It seems to me that a staple definitely influences the stiffness 'down
under'.
The more stiffness in the lower halve of the hammer the better, because it
gives us a reserve, a spare power. I myself compare the lower side of the
hammer head with a battery because it also contains power : you drain that
power, you drain the battery. Battery empty? throw away hammer.

I personally favor the European Renner hammers for the following reasons :
1. they are made with Wurzen felt (and that is most important).
2. they have a staple (unless requested otherwise).
3. they have - more than enough - power from the start.
4. they don't carry hammer dopes which I think is better because the natural
resilience of the felt stays and additives do deaden/harden/clot those
springy fibers and thereby change certain aspects of piano sound. (only a
tiny little dope is needed in the first and last 5-6 hammers)
5. they don't need an awful lot of needling
6. when one has over-needled the upper halve of the hammer head there is
almost always more than enough power left in the battery to cover up for
errors, and even then.... without the use of hammer dopes.

In other words : these hammers are ready for good use with very high quality
results and without too much spending of time and energy and that is why
some major factories in the world buy them.

Lastly :
We should not forget the differences in hammer shape that several factories
prescribe, as it makes all the difference in the final outcome.
It also asks for different voicing procedures.

friendly greetings
from

Antares,

Amsterdam, Holland