Great Opportunity, Lousy Piano

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 17:28:25 -0700

Terry Farrell wrote;

I only had a couple hours before they were going to use it for =
rehearsal. Thank God I had super glue and duct tape! I pitch-raised it =
to A440, tuned it, filed the hammers, shimmed the action frame for =
hammer alignment, roughed up the hammer tails to make most of them =
check. Added a little drop to some just so they would not double strike. =
That was all I had time for. This thing needed a good 200 hours of work =
- at least.

    You must be a very efficient worker to get all that done in two =
hours, Terry. I would definately look at this as an opportunity to show =
your stuff and earn some good money.=20
    One thing, next time you're pushed for time, instead of roughing up =
the hammer tails, look at the backchecks, if they look a little worn =
down, sometimes it's quicker to take some 220 paper and drag it straight =
up towards you, like you're gang filling. Makes 'em look almost new, and =
takes about three minutes for the whole set. Just don't get too carried =
away. Sometimes that's all they need.=20