Upright Touch weight

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 19:19:13 +0200

On verticals, improper whippen/capstan position = a lot of friction >
weight.

Isaac.

  -----Message d'origine-----
  De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la
part de Ken Jankura
  Envoyé : samedi 21 septembre 2002 19:03
  À : Pianotech
  Objet : Re: Upright Touchweight

  I just did a partial-day regulation on a 60's Hardman console that felt
horrible to play.Young student, limited budget, etc.  I thought the damper
timing had a lot to do with it (lifting early) so that was what I corrected
first. It was still horrible. I thought the damper springs might have been a
little too strong, this can affect the heaviness of the feel and be
unnecessary for good damping. The springs in this instance were not too
strong.  So I weighed off down/up on a few notes and found it to be very
heavy, like 70/45. By bending the return springs back, I was able to reduce
it to 40g down!!! Oops, too much. It surprised even me how much effect they
had. Usually I find smaller pianos a little light, and strengthening the
springs is a good way to improve the touch and, coincidentally, repetition
as well. The springs in this Hardman didn't even look like they were that
strong (judging by the profile of the curve when freed from the slot in the
hammer butt), and about ten minutes of work bending springs back did more to
improve this piano than any other let-off, key level, checking, etc. work I
did that day. I bent all the springs back and then worked the soft pedal
vigorously to spot springs that I had bent back too far, which seemed to
work pretty well, I would adjust them stronger and got all of them more or
less even. On a piano with real uneven friction in the hammer centers, this
would not work, of course.
  I'm wondering if anyone out there has a system to use a tension gauge with
the spring rail removed to set the springs for very even touch on verticals.
If I ever get any free time, maybe I'll develop my very own Jankurawood
Touchweight System for verticals :-)
  Ken Jankura RPT
  Fayetteville PA