Upright Touchweight

Ken Jankura kenrpt@earthlink.net
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 13:03:07 -0400

I just did a partial-day regulation on a 60's Hardman console that felt =
horrible to play.Young student, limited budget, etc.  I thought the =
damper timing had a lot to do with it (lifting early) so that was what I =
corrected first. It was still horrible. I thought the damper springs =
might have been a little too strong, this can affect the heaviness of =
the feel and be unnecessary for good damping. The springs in this =
instance were not too strong.  So I weighed off down/up on a few notes =
and found it to be very heavy, like 70/45. By bending the return springs =
back, I was able to reduce it to 40g down!!! Oops, too much. It =
surprised even me how much effect they had. Usually I find smaller =
pianos a little light, and strengthening the springs is a good way to =
improve the touch and, coincidentally, repetition as well. The springs =
in this Hardman didn't even look like they were that strong (judging by =
the profile of the curve when freed from the slot in the hammer butt), =
and about ten minutes of work bending springs back did more to improve =
this piano than any other let-off, key level, checking, etc. work I did =
that day. I bent all the springs back and then worked the soft pedal =
vigorously to spot springs that I had bent back too far, which seemed to =
work pretty well, I would adjust them stronger and got all of them more =
or less even. On a piano with real uneven friction in the hammer =
centers, this would not work, of course.
I'm wondering if anyone out there has a system to use a tension gauge =
with the spring rail removed to set the springs for very even touch on =
verticals. If I ever get any free time, maybe I'll develop my very own =
Jankurawood Touchweight System for verticals :-)
Ken Jankura RPT
Fayetteville PA
  ----- Original Message -----=20