Voicing

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 20:11:49 -0700

I personally have had the misfortune of getting a set of "Pre-voiced"
hammers, from Steinway! When I opened the box, it wreaked of lacquer! I sent
them back and requested hammers straight out of the presses with no
"Pre-voicing" done. Which, incidentally, I was told this was "standard
procedure". To which, I replied: how the heck do you know the application of
these hammers and the acoustics of the room?
As usual, the reply was the typical "cavalier" attitude that has always been
present at Steinway. I was warned about it by my teacher and it has proven
to be a fact.
The replacements were darned near as hard as the first ones, but had not
been "Pre-voiced". I installed them on an "O". I've never had so darned much
trouble with a set of hammers. Never again!!!!! The best hammers for a
Steinway, IMHO, is anything other than theirs.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)