hammer maker's corner

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 22:09:48 +0200

Hello Ari Isaac,

I've heard of your hammers by my friend Arno Patin, are they imported in
Europe ?

Could you please explain how layers are made when the standard hammer's felt
is made ? I cant get the picture of it.

Are not the sheet- used usually more dense in the treble from the start ?
that was my impression on the few I've seen.

There where many very good cold pressed hammers in the 30' and before WWII
in Europe.  Actually the felt used on most of the French refelting jobs is
laoureux felt and it does not produce enough tone and no strength, but it is
also due to the way it is used of course.

I suspect that your idea is that if the felt has not been needled the tone
will stay longer, and the voicing will then be more stable.

Are you selling your felt only eventually ? That could be of some interest
to try it for our hammer maker , Desfougeres, if only he cares for that.

Are you offering more or less pressed hammers on desire ? I guess it can be
better to have some possibilities with the needle, than to work with
hardening agents ?

Best regards.

Isaac OLEG

PianoTech