Voicing

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 11:51:52 -0700 (PDT)

Steinway apparently experimented extensively with
woven Teflon hammers a few years back. I have no idea
how this went.
     My first choices, were I to "fool around" in this
arena would be synthetic non-wovens and closed cell
neoprene sponge, of the sort which is used as
cushioniing on artificial limbs ( chunks of this as
scrap can be had from any prosthetics fitter ).
     Felt can be made from wool because the tiny barbs
on the fiber allow it to be "laid up" into a tightly
packed, interlocked mass. Some approximation of this,
either with adhesives or similar "barbs" would be
necessary witha  synthetic. But it does seem to me
that, eventually, a suitable synthetric, more durable
and less affected by humidity changes, will be
deverloped.
     Gordon Stelter