TR: Regulate by feel (was : Bechstein grand spread dimension)

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 10:00:48 +0200

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Isaac OLEG [mailto:oleg-i@wanadoo.fr]
Envoyé : vendredi 20 septembre 2002 01:53
À : Keith Roberts
Objet : RE: Regulate by feel (was : Bechstein grand spread dimension)

Hello,

I am feeling that I will not allow more than 46.5 mm on this action,
with the actual setup, little rollers = high inertia at the beginning
of the stroke, that would be too heavy to play.

Changing the spread will modify a very little the global ratio, but
will change the acceleration and the relation of the levers between
them. The roller is often worn flat too fast if the jack is not well
in place, beside, maximum energy transmitted directly when well
aligned.

Actually I feel the movement is too much at the end of the key stroke,
and I believe that if I add a little spread, assuming it does not
create other problems, I will gain speed for the hammer since the
start of its move, as the inertia will be broken more easely. That
makes a whole word of changes in the sound, that will be more civil.

Then I expect that at the end of the key strokes, the levers will have
a slower movement, because capstan farther, nearer of the extremity of
the whippen)

Then the same move in the key will be less move for the jack.

Hope that makes sense and that is what I have noticed when playing
with the spread.

Regards and good post (no, no, don't thank me ;>)

Isaac.