muting strings

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 22:00:17 -0500

Tommy,

> Today for the very first time I muted with only rubber mutes
> as Jon Page suggested. I tried it on the "beast" Steinway 'D'. It worked
> beautifully. I could hear the fundamentals as clear as a bell and all the
> co-incidentals or mute. I wonder if your action cloth mutes as clearly as
the > rubber mutes.

They don't, but it's about the speed of the strip versus the gilded lily
single mute approach. Most of the time I don't worry about the lily. :-)

Like you, I have noticed that it is much easier to hear the upper octave
when it is played with all strings of the lower unison sounding.

John Formsma
http://www.mygreatbiz.net

Low long-distance, toll-free service, Skytel paging, Dish Network, internet
dial-up, and more! Why pay more when you can get it for less?