Voicing

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 01:25:00 +0200

Hi

The more vertical you needle the more tension is destroyed , I was
always told., but I believe that low needling just under the crown is
a standard method to obtain the American sound on some pianos, as
creating a not so hard zone under the harder crown. I believe you
treat the hammers so on hard impact some energy is absorbed under the
crown.

European hammers I believe use the underside of the crown as a place
that helps more the hammer to keep its shape, while the shock
absorbers are on the shoulders

The "battery" needling refers to needling horizontally or with an
angle in the underside of the hammer (above the agraffe).

To restore some hardness in the higher regions and under the low
shoulders. As the fiber retract, the tension goes higher, restoring
sustain or adding power.

Many brand voice the hammer totally from the lower regions, but it
have been proven useful to keep these areas untouched if not
necessary, and use them later, as it will be good to have some
reserve.

Standard method on Steinway hammers to give strength

I don't believe it could work without agraffes, or anyway less.

Always impressed with the quality of my post, I may admit.

Regards

Isaac