Voicing

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 18:51:34 -0700

    Alan, you are absolutely on track. You really have to be familiar =
with a product line before you can know enough to treat them the same =
way you did the last set.=20
    That being said, Roger was responding to how he would handle Yamaha =
hammers. I'd do exactly the same thing with that particular brand while =
preparing to hang a new set.=20
    But either way, unless you drive needles deep down into and under =
the crown, what ever mistakes you make can be undone. Deep needling down =
low on the shoulders isn't going to do any harm, ever, and usually does =
a great deal of good, IMHO.=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan R. Barnard=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 6:37 PM
  Subject: Re: Voicing

  Hmmm. Seems like you'd have to really know the hammers you were =
hanging--from experience with the brand and "style." I was talked into =
(only way I can say it) A. Isaac upright hammers for a Baldwin 6000. =
Those suckers were so soft they sounded like marshmallows on sticks. So =
rather than making pincushions out of them, I'd be more inclined to pour =
on the lacquer before a put in another set of those. But, having only =
used them once and having only installed new hammers 4 times, I wouldn't =
dare do anything until I'd had them in the piano to evaluate. Am I =
on-track here, or missing vital information?

  Alan Barnard