ETD's accurate?

Wed, 18 Sep 2002 17:52:53 -0700

I think you missed the point, Richard.  The issue wasn't whether accuracy
was important.  The issue was how much time you should labor over perfection
at the expense of other things the piano might need.

David Love

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Brekne" <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: September 18, 2002 12:10 PM
Subject: Re: ETD's accurate?

Ron Koval wrote:

> <snip>
> >.  While you are laboring over that last .01 cent and becoming
> >intoxicated by the nectar of creative tuning, I'm lubricating the action
> >and touching up the voicing.  Time, and money, better spent.
> >
> >David Love
> <snip>

I always love this particular argument as it so clumsily shoots itself in
its
own foot. If you are not concerned with such accuracy, then you certainly
have
no use for a machine. You can slop in a tuning with 1 cent tolerences (from
Ed's
post along similar lines)  in 20 minutes or so. Secondly it makes all kinds
of
false assumptions about the time it takes to do a good "creative" aural
tuning.
Thirdly it completely dodges the point its trying to counter, namely that
being
able to insure a good tuning requires a trained ear and mind that knows what
do with what its hearing. If you can do that, then you can also use an ETD
develope even better skills. But if you dont bother with the ears in the
first
place, never bother to learn what tuning is all about, simply make whatever
dial
you are looking at stop, then you might as well just turn on a Casio.

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.