lucky break

Marcel Carey mcpiano@globetrotter.net
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 20:33:30 -0400

Sometimes luck smiles at you. I was called to tune this little nasty spinet,
the thing was 20 or more cents sharp. The owner isn't there. So, I decided
to float the pitch and not fight over this little critter. I was using
Tunelab pocket (the new spinet divided tuning curve works great). As I got
to the treble, the owner calls. So, I ask him if he really wants the piano
at 440. He says yes and I start telling him about the necessity of pitch
correction and Dampp Chaser. So he agrees to go for the pitch correction but
(here comes the luck) he mentions that he is a clarinetist and his clarinet
is at 442. Good thing I didn't use the pitch raise function. Of course I had
to do a second pass, but just to raise low tenor and gently fudge the
treble. Sometimes things go your way.

Marcel Carey, RPT
Sherbrooke, QC