Regulate by feel (was : Bechstein grand spread dimension)

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 19:50:30 -0400

At 12:17 AM 9/19/2002 +0200, you wrote:<snip>
>Talking about the drop moment, at any price I will not delay the
>contacts between regulating button or screws,

Lets not forget the actual function of this adjustment as Del has pointed
out many times.

It is the repetition lever upstop screw, which restricts the lever's
upwards movement as the jack begins escapement.

It's nomenclature was derived from the result of the hammer's action. Its
function is to not allow the hammer to traverse
upwards beyond the point of letoff.

Drop screw, a misnomer;  Repetition lever upstop screw, politically correct
piano nomenclature.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.