ETD's accurate?

antares antares@euronet.nl
Thu, 19 Sep 2002 00:17:09 +0200

OK...And....then I was going to say ....(but then I had to run off to work)
that, indeed, an ETD is a power tool.
I often compare my Verituner (to interested customers and colleagues) with
an atomic vacuum cleaner, which I have mentioned here before.
I remember staying in a hotel room in a huge hotel in New Delhi and hearing
this weird brushing sound outside the door of my room.
I finally got up, opened the door and saw this Indian sweeper/cleaner on his
knees, brushing the miles long hallway carpet with a hand brush.
This was India, and I understood that giving that person a vacuum cleaner
would be murder to a million other Indian cleaner/sweepers.

I however do not live in India, so after having tuned more than 40 000
pianos I decided that in one life that was enough.
So I bought a Verituner and it changed my professional life completely.
>From earlier stories I wrote on this list you know that I underwent
horrifying tuning tests at Yamaha, day after day and course after course.
So, aside from those 40 000 plus pianos, I know what tuning by ear means and
I know what a perfect tuning means.
So I recognized the miracle of tuning with this miraculous 'atomic vacuum
cleaner', because it gave me instantly the most harmonious, the most
beautiful and the most balanced tunings, that I had fought for all those
years, within 45 minutes!!

Maybe someone out there can now understand why I don't bother anymore about
the creative process of making a perfect temperament?
Man...I have made that jig saw puzzle over and over for half of my life!
Give me break! (no, give me a VT)

Now....
about that creative process :
I have learned from my Japanese instructors to make a 'tone' by tuning
unisons. One of my instructors took me to various rooms of other piano
students and let me hear the differences between their 'tones'.
At the time I was not aware of 'a tone', let alone 'my tone'.
So as I began to learn about making tone by tuning I got hot and found an
immense inspiration again by digging further into this 'tone matter'.

Again my VT helps me tremendously by aiding me in making the most - perfect
- tuning on any instrument. However, my VT can not make a 'tone', and here
comes the creativity while tuning : I tune just all the middle strings of
the unisons (except for the bass section which I tune totally right away),
then shut down my 'magic box' and have a wonderful and relaxed time
concentrating on the process of 'making tone', just by upgrading the unisons
to the MAX.

Piano tuning has become fun again and has inspired me enormously.
It has also given me the possibility to concentrate, and spend more time, on
regulation and voicing during the same session because making the tuning did
not make me tired.

Don't forget that I too have done my share as a piano tuner. I speak from an
immense and hard fought experience during 30 years during which I wrecked my
hands, my arms, my back and luckily not yet my ears.

Using my ETD during the last 1.5 year has also given me a deep trust in the
capabilities of the machine so...yes! it is extremely accurate and...it
renewed my inspiration and initiated my second professional wind.

friendly greetings
from

Antares,

Amsterdam, Holland