Voicing

Wed, 18 Sep 2002 23:30:06 +0200

Hi folks

Ran into a neat "aha!" experience today while trying out
some of Andres tips about voicing. He uses an approach he
referes to as "battery" voicing, where the low deep needling
area of the felt is more or less kept in reserve as power to
be made available when needed.

Well, today I got a bit carried away with some close to
crown needling on a few hammers in the bass / tenor change
over area, so I ran a about 6 deep single fat needle sticks
in well halfway down the hammer at 90 degrees from the core
and WOW !!... not only did all the volume I had lost come
back but a resiliency characteristic to the sound... as in
increased dynamics big time.

In any case, for anyone struggling to get farther in voicing
skills,,,, next time you get an instrument that hasnt had a
lot of needling, but hammers are packed and hard from use
give this a try. The results are very very easy to hear,
instructive to be sure.

Cheers!

--
Richard Brekne